Saturday, January 10, 2009

Trying to be more frugal

With everyone talking about the economy and just a general attitude in our house of trying to get out of debt and pay more attention to where and how we are spending our money we are making more frugal choices. Lori over at A Cowboys Wife is asking for some frugal ideas, so I thought I'd share a couple of mine.

One of my favorites are these sabco oneWIPE gloves I picked up at Dollar Tree. I only got 2, a dusting mitt and a bathroom cleaning mitt to try them out. I wish I'd bought more now that I've tried them out. I love that my hand is completely covered while I clean the bathroom. I able to just toss the dusting mitt in the washer and use it over and over, instead of tossing my swiffer sheets into the trash.

We've been buying the Kirkland brand bathroom tissue for awhile now. I'm sure at some point I did some price comparison to make that choice but today I had a coupon for $2.50 off Charmin so I thought that might be the better deal. I was honestly shocked at the price difference. For 30 rolls of Charmin with 220 sheets per roll (their jumbo roll) the price was 18.49. For 36 individually wrapped rolls [this is a big plus when you are storing TP in bulk!] with 425 sheets per roll was 18.99. We even compared the overall feet per roll because I couldn't believe we were really getting TWICE as much paper with Kirkland. But we were! Charmin may be a little bit thicker, but it can't possible TWICE as much better!! This 18.99 worth of paper generally lasts us close to 8 months.

Check out our Down with Fat blog for a breakdown of what we got and other ways we saved.

No comments: